Tuesday, October 9, 2012

WORDS FROM THE PAST

When I was a lad, I remember my dad, sitting in his old rocking chair,reading from Isaiah 53, this was his favorite reading from the past. Today I am sharing a writing from a Daily Bread devotion from October 22/1994.


THE  OTHER  SIDE

Many years ago a doctor made a house call on a dying patient, who asked, “Doctor, what will heaven be like?” The physician paused, trying to think of a helpful reply. Just then they heard the sound of scratching on the closed door of the patient’s bedroom.

“Do you hear that?” the doctor asked. “It’s my dog. I left him downstairs, but he got impatient and came up here looking for me. He doesn’t know what’s in this room, but he knows his master is here. I believe that’s how it is with heaven. We don’t know what it’s like, but we know that Jesus will be there. And really, nothing else matters.”
The Bible gives us a few faith-strengthening glimpses of what life will be like beyond the closed door of death. We know that heaven will be a place of radiant splendor (Rev. 21:23). We know that it will be a place of reunion as we meet again those whom we have loved and from whom we have been parted for a little while (1 Th. 4:17). We know that there will be “no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying” (Rev. 21:4).
But above all, when we get to the other side, we will rejoice because Jesus is there, and we will be with Him forever.
My knowledge of that life is small,
The eye of faith is dim;
But it’s enough that Christ knows all,
And I shall be with Him. —Baxter
To be with Jesus forever is the sum of all happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dark Shadows!

 When my brother and I were young, We were blessed with a great older brother, And a loving mom and dad; We would get home from school, And ...